Not to be morbid, but rock and roll has a pretty high casualty rate. Something about the combination of massive substance abuse, little airplanes and rampant personality defects does not bode well for individual longevity.
In spite of the many many high-profile premature departures that litter rock’s runway, we are often the collective inheritors of something priceless, a final message from the other side. With that, we present the very best posthumous hits to work their way into the Billboard Charts and our psyches.
10. Buddy Holly – It Doesn’t Matter Anymore
9. Elvis Presley – Way Down
8. Jim Croce – Time in a Bottle
7. John Lennon – Just Like Starting Over
6. Tupac Shakur – Changes
5. The Notorious B.I.G. – Hypnotize
4. Janis Joplin – Me and Bobby McGee
3. Nirvana – Man Who Sold the World
2. Bob Marley – Buffalo Soldier
1. Otis Redding- (Sittin’ On) The Dock of the Bay