I’m sorry. You didn’t deserve that. Ignore my jealousy. I hope you’re having fun…jerk.
Anyway, this week marks the 4th of July, when we celebrate the anniversary of America’s birth. For many of us though, the holiday has less to do with patriotism and more to do with fireworks, grilling and a host of summer cliches that sort of never get old.
…like amusement parks. Don’t get me wrong. Amusement parks get old. But it’s best to ignore the loose bolts and matured corrosion as you strap into a roller coaster that can be folded and transported on the back of a pickup truck. In Rock ‘n Roll days of yore, the amusement park was fair fodder for the occasional summer hit, a perfect embodiment of the carefree recklessness that makes summer awesome. So this Top Ten is amusement park themed. And just so you know, I looked super-hard for a song about Gravitrons but everything I found sucked to all holy hell.
10. Beach Boys – Amusement Parks U.S.A.
9. Grateful Dead – Lazy River Road
8. Herbert Hunter – Loop De Loop
7. Three Dog Night – The Show Must Go On
6. 13th Floor Elevators – Roller Coaster
5. Red Hot Chili Peppers – Love Rollercoaster
4. Natalie Merchant – Carnival
3. Tom Waits – Step Right Up
2. Freddy Cannon – Palisades Park
1. Bruce Springsteen – 4 of July, Asbury Park (Sandy)